Thursday, February 9, 2012

Independent component one

I , Amanda Gutierrez Affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work. Literal : I created a dance team called song, song it a cheerleading like team without all the stunts. I created this team to prove that dancing helps girls feel better about themselves, helping them raise their self esteem. I was used to hip hop or jazz like dancing so I wanted to step out of my element and see if it was just a type of dancing that made a girl feel good about their selves or was it any type of dance. What I got out of it was that it is any type of dancing if you eleven something new and accomplish it you start to feel better about yourself, a sense of fulfillment. Interpretive : From the 22nd of November to the first of February I taught 13 girls how to dance in a way I wasn't so familiar with. We practiced every Tuesday and thursday except for the week before we went off spring break, we practiced everyday. I taught the girls a routine to the song " Moves like Jagger" by Maroon 5 and " Turn me on" by Niki Minaj. Every week we learned something different or went over what we had learned the week before. I had been a captain of my color guard team in the eighth grade so I knew the approach I needed to bring to the table. To work with teenage girls you need to have a lot of patience . As well as giving them the right advice in the right way about dancing. It is also important to form a bond with your dancers because it helps them understand you in a different way . I got to know all the girls and it was a great experience because I told them to put their issues into their moves because it shows when you dance. I taught them to take those words " can't , suck, fail, etc" out of their vocabulary. In order to step further in learning something new you have to bring a positive attitude. So I made it clear that not only were they there to learn how to dance or improve their dancing but they were there to have a positive attitudes. I came across tons of difficulties such as having a hard time getting the girls to purchase the uniforms. I didn't want to preform without the uniforms because I think uniforms are an important part of being a team. If you look like a team you dance like a team. What I learned from teaching the girls in my song team how to dance , is it is true practice makes perfect. I saw such a change in their dancing on February first. They danced as a team but at the same time danced as one. It felt good knowing I helped them accomplish what they didn't think they could. Applied: What is the best way to help teenage girls build self esteem? Having the girls in my song team grow as dancers really helped me answer my essential question. One of the best ways to help a teenage girl build self esteem is teaching them how to dance in a way they feel most comfortable. But comfortablity isn't always important its getting your dancer out of their comfort zone. But once you pull them out of their comfort zone they fell better because their not scared to try new things. I have read in several articles that learning how to dance is a way to increase your confidence. Dancing can be a big part of life especially growing up. So when you have the ability to dance or try your best to learn how to dance it feels good. I was in the fifth grade when I saw the movie Honey and from that day on I tried my hardest to learn the routines in that movie. Over the years I ended up making up my own routines and felt more confident when it came to dancing I front of big crowds. It's a sense of filliment and accomplishment. Accomplishing something that not everyone can do makes you fell good and increases your confidence level which is never bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment